Friday, February 26, 2010

Fisher's of Men

Matthew 4:19 says, "and He said to them, 'Follow me and I will make you fishers of men".

Allow me to apologize upfront for I fear this post will become long winded (as usual). I want to share my heart with you and tell you about a ministry that is brewing in my heart. Several years ago, a sister-in-Christ told me about a ministry through her church called, "Fishers of men". The best way to explain this ministry is to liken it to the process of passing out "Amish" bread. Anyone that is familiar with this process know that it works like this: The bread has a starter, the person with the starter makes the bread, passes it out and then passes out starter kits to those willing to carry on with the process. After awhile, you end up with a multitude of starter kits and bread. So, are you with me so far. My heart is to see a great multitude of disciples and a great multitude of those being discipled (or maybe evangelized).

If I've perked your interest so far, let me explain further how this ministry works:
1) Small group (6-8 people is optimal to facilitate sharing of the heart).
2) Mixture of seasoned believers, new believers, and quite possibly some unbelievers.
3) Not church or denomination specific group, but must all have same Christian belief (Jesus died on the cross for our sins, was crucified, rose from the dead on the third day...only one way to God.)
4) Study should not last more than 8 weeks
5) Intense prayer for at least one to emerge from the study willing to lead a small group approximately 4 weeks after the initial small group ends.
6) Facilitator from initial small group to lead another small group with new set of people.

For the past 4 weeks, a small group has met in my home and been a part of a study by author Kelly Minter, titled "No other gods". I won't go into great detail about the study (I'll save that for another post), but let me just suffice it to say, the study has been phenomenal and the way God has been working through the study has been profound.

A new study will start in approximately 8 weeks and last 4-8 weeks. If you think you may be interested in attending or if you have questions, please let me know.


1 comment:

Seann said...

I'm so happy for you. I have listened in on this study a few times and I know that God is doing great things. I love you!