Tuesday, March 29, 2011

40 Day Challenge....Day 11...."Put off" Jealousy/Envy, "Put on" Trust....

Oh me, Oh my!  It has been almost 2 weeks since I wrote last.  I wish I could use the old adage, "Time flies when you're having fun"....but the past 2 weeks have not been what I would call "fun", blessed...yes...but not fun.  My sweet sister-in-law, Barbara, was hospitalized last week with an esophageal bleed of unknown origin.  She went from bad to worse but through God's grace, she is stable and may be going home tomorrow.  For those of you that were praying for her, thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Then last Tuesday, our son got sick with what we thought was strep throat.  My hubby followed suit and I  kept him comfortable in a room I quaranteened for them for a couple of days and then I decided to join them.  We found out we all had Influenza "A".  We are blessed because we could have had something so much worse.  O.K. enough about me and them....let's get back on track. 

I think everyone may struggle with jealousy or envy to some degree, but I would venture to say that it seems to be something that plaques women more.  You know what is strange about jealousy?  Often there is no truth to it.  What we are jealous about has not merit.  You know what is even stranger?  The Bible tells us that when we are jealous or when we envy we are conceited.  That's right "conceited".  (Galatians 5:26). Guess what else the Bible says about envy (or jealousy...same difference)....when we are jealous we are also boastful and proud (A.K.A.  PRIDEFUL) (See 1 Corin 13:4).

Now for the "put on".....trust.  The best way to overcome jealousy or envy is to trust.  The first few years I was married to my sweet husband were not so sweet for him.  I would accuse and turn into a "green eyed monster" if a woman even so much as looked at him.  I knew my reason was not valid.  The bottom line was that I was insecure and needed to feel better about myself (there is that PRIDE thing again).  I will never forget my husband looking at me one day.  Exhausted he said, "if you can't trust me, you don't need me".  So many people think they demonstrate love by placing their loved one on a pedestal.  This is what true love is:  "It always protects, always trust, always hopes, always perseveres".  Need I say more?

No comments: