Tuesday, March 8, 2011

40 Day Challenge - Day 7, "Put off" Impatience, "Put on" Perseverance

As I wrote the title to this post, I chuckled to myself.  I grew impatient just writing it as I considered all the items on my "to do" list for today.

I am going to jump right into today's scripture because I think this will explain the importance of this "put on-put off".

James 1:2-4 says, "Count it all joy my brothers when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

Hebrews 10:36 says, "For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what is promised."

How many of us ask God for trials?  I certainly don't...but I can tell you that in my christian walk as I have encountered trials that is when I've grown most.  I can think of many that are dear to me right now that are walking through the fire as they encounter heartaches and trials in this world.  Beth Moore, christian author and speaker/teacher, said in her study on the book of "Daniel" that God poses three scenarios for how we could be delivered during trials:
  1. Delivered from the fire - This is where faith is built....(the suspicious lump in your breast that upon further examination by the physician is benign).
  2. Delivered through the fire - This is where faith is refined....(the suspicious lump in your breast that is cancer, but is treatable, and you are cancer free several years later).
  3. Delivered by the fire - This is where faith is perfected.... (The suspicious lump in your breast that is cancer and is incurable and you go on to be with the Lord).
(If you haven't done this study by Beth Moore, I encourage you to check it out....I will always remember these three points).


    No comments: