Friday, February 6, 2009

I Love Jesus, but......

O.K....I'll go ahead and admit it! I am a "FBJ" (Facebook Junkie)....I have to allot myself only a certain amount of time or I could be looking up old friends and conversing with them all day long! Today when I went on facebook, a couple of friends had posted a video from the "Ellen Degeneres Show"....this particular video was called "I love Jesus but I drink a little". Out of curiousity I viewed the video and laughed till I almost cried! In this video an elderly woman calls in and gives Ellen advice about how to make her set look better. The next day Ellen calls the woman back and as they get into their talk, the elderly woman say, "You know, I love Jesus, but I drink a little"....I initially posted the video on my facebook profile, then after posting it...I started fretting that someone (particularly the ladies I teach in Sunday School) would think I was endorsing an entertainer that has a belief system contrary to mine...so... that said, I deleted the video from my profile. However, I could not delete the words from my mind that dear little old lady spoke, "I love Jesus, BUT, I drink a little". It made me consider what we say with our actions and words every day if not held accountable....in essence, I love Jesus, BUT....I love something else more...whether it be alcohol, food, drugs, relationships, career, etc....Anything we love more than Jesus is sin....plain and simple.....Matthew 7:21 says, "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter." This is a promise we can cling to. We will not enter the gates of heaven by claiming to love Jesus, because....we do not love Him if we love something else more.

1 comment:

Michele said...

I watched that video on facebook and laughed until I did cry...but the saying does make you think...if we honestly check ourselves when we say we love Jesus, is there a "but" at the end or do we completely love Jesus...more than anything! Thanks for a great blog Ms. Sue...I enjoy reading them! Love ya, Michele