Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Only Resolution.....

O.K., I haven't been doing so good with the blogging lately...been going through a dry spell. I tried desperately prior to the New Year to come up with a list of resolutions but only settled on one....to grow closer in my walk with God. One thing christian author and speaker, Beth Moore, has challenged us to do is memorize scripture (see the LPM blog in the sidebar for more info). I have always wanted to memorize scripture but always had some poor excuse why I couldn't. We have a night of praise one Sunday a month...at this time people can sing a song, read a poem, perform and skit, give a testimony, etc.....the most memorable "Night of Praise" was a couple of months ago when a young man by the name of Joel stood up and recited the entire Chapter 8 of the Book of Romans....FROM MEMORY....not only did he recite it but he did so with passion. This particular chapter of the Bible is relatively long. This struck a cord with me and made me think about how privileged we are in America to have Bibles EVERYWHERE, but also how for granted we take that privilege. It also made me think about the possibility of not having God's written Word. I thought about Joel bravely and passionately reciting the Bible that night...you know, if in America we are ever denied the Word of God, or if it is snatched from us, Joel will have Romans Chapter 8 in his heart and mind to cling to. With that in mind, I know that scripture memory is something I need to pursue. So, twice a month (on the 1st and 15th), I go to the "LPM" Blog, sign in and state the scripture I plan to memorize over the next two weeks. It is amazing how much understanding and clarity comes to scripture when you commit it to memory. If you are interested in memorizing scripture, I challenge you to do the same. If you are interested in doing so through the LPM blog site, just go to the blog site on the 1st and 15th of each month. You can pick your own scripture to memorize or memorize one that Beth Moore chooses. By the end of the year you will have memorized 24 scriptures. WOW!

No comments: