Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sweet Memories....

I am hiding from my daughter and drinking a cup of Taster's Choice instant coffee...I know it sounds crazy...I am hiding from her because I don't want her to see me tearful over a memory, she's sure to seek counseling for me if she does. The Taster's Choice coffee started this rabbit trail of memories. I have not drank this coffee since I left home nearly 25 years ago. Now, if you are a coffee connoisseur like I am, you would not opt for instant coffee. But, the other day as I was wondering the coffee isle at Walmart, there it was...Taster's Choice coffee. All of a sudden I was flooded with many fond memories of my mom and oldest brother, both now residing in heaven. I didn't linger on the memories at that time but picked up the coffee and placed it in my cart. My tea time (really my "coffee time") is every day between 2-3 p.m. Any of my co-workers will tell you that I start looking like a battery drained of it's power until I pause for "tea time" and then I get a second wind. So, today at "tea time", I decided to see if Taster's Choice Coffee was really what I remember. I fixed my cup of coffee and sat on my rocking chair on the porch to savor it....all of a sudden I was flooded again was those fond memories of mom and Buddy (my oldest brother), but this time I lingered on those memories. Mom and Buddy owned an Upholstery shop where they would get up and put in a half day's work before my teenage feet ever hit the ground. Then when it came time for us to get out of bed and get ready for school, mom and Buddy would meander from the shop to the house and start preparing breakfast. They would be savoring their coffee, Taster's Choice, black in a porcelain white coffee mug. It was always fixed the same and had to be in the white mug. (Buddy would not drink out of anything else...he felt styrofoam cups were toxic and now medical research tells us they are.) There was more wisdom poured out in words over that morning cup of coffee than I can remember but Oh! What I would give to share a cup of coffee with them again today...savor the coffee and savor their company. I love that the Lord gives us memories like these to cherish and savor...

3 comments:

Barb said...

How precious Sue. It's always amazed me how a smell, a sound or a touch can flood our minds with memories from long ago. In an instant, we can be transported to a different time and we can almost see those moments from so long ago. Many memories have been jogged simply by a smell and in those times, I love to close my eyes and just savor what floods my mind. Thanks for sharing your moment in time with us. I love you!

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

I am always happy when I can remember something like this....when days and weeks go by and your busy, you start to fear forgetting special traits of those long gone.

debseveryday said...

I loved reading this one. Memories are so precious and can really comfort us when we're missing someone we love. Especially those memories that surprise us when they show up, thinking about one thing that suddenly leads to you a great memory. A coffee aisle leads you to a sweet memory of your mom and brother. Too cool.