Monday, January 21, 2008

Journey of a Weight Watching Fool/Part 2 (Water)

O.K....time for part 2 in Journey of a WWF....(see previous blog on Jan 5). I cannot begin to stress how important water is. I'll be the first to admit that I don't drink near the quota that I am supposed to. Don Colbert, physician and author of "Seven Pillars of Health", devoted a whole chapter to water and the benefits of drinking an ample supply. He even gives you a website that you can access to see if your public drinking water is safe. He states in his book that when his patients first come to him, he asks them how much water they drink and if they aren't getting enough, he prescribes it. He also tells you that in order to know how much water to drink a day, you can take your weight, divide it by 2 and that is number of ounces you should be drinking in a day. I recently read an article that stated that all of the hype about water was basically hogwash...but as a labor and delivery nurse, when a patient comes to us in preterm labor, one of the culprits is usually dehydration (so I beg to differ with that article). If you are not an avid fan of water, it may take a little getting used to. Prepare for endless trips to the restroom initially as the water flushes your kidneys. O.K., so here are few of the things water is good for: skin, heart, kidneys, bowels, cramps....(just to name a few)...to find out more about the best water to drink and the benefits of water, read the book, "Seven Pillars of Health" by Don Colbert.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I was in preterm labor with my daughter. It was awful (I had Mag Sulfate). I *never* want to go through that Mag again! It was worse than the lack of an epidural during my "real" labor. I was hallucinating, delirious, etc. No one told me about dehydration. But I started drinking tons of water afterwards and she ended up being a full-term baby.