Sunday, December 23, 2007

Living not for the dot....but for the line!

I teach a Sunday School class of adult women and I have to say that we are quite an interactive group.....in the spirit of Christmas, I felt that our last few classes should center around giving....our study was taken from a book written by a christian author named Randy Alcorn, titled "The treasure principle"....today's lesson centered on a "dot" and a "line"....

Randy Alcorn says that we have two phases to life:
1) a dot
2) a line that extends past the dot....

Let me explain further, birth to death is the dot.....it is filled with many things....if I were to draw a time line of my dot, it would start with birth, elem school, high school (several boyfriends plugged into that time), jobs (several), childbirth, marriage (yeah, I know....I got it backwards....more about that in blogs to come), college, career, salvation....all of this would compose my "dot" so far and would extend until death....The line is from death on into eternity....it would be my time spent in heaven.....

The questions is this....do I live for the dot or the line....often I live as if the dot is the best there is when there is so much better out there....actually my time on earth is very brief in light of eternity. So, if I am to live for the "line", I need to live as living for eternity, investing my treasures in heaven. Two great verses are from Ecclesiastes....2:11, and 5:10-15.....this book was written by one of the wisest men on earth, King Solomon....his conclusion in these verses is that we are born with nothing and we'll die with nothing. We mistakenly think that things can satisfy but they can't because there will always be something later, greater, better, bigger, shinier, etc....

I challenge you with a new year approaching to live for the "line" and not for the "dot".....

3 comments:

Jodi said...

A guest speaker who taught our Sunday school class this past Sunday used the same "dot" lesson from Randy Alcorn! It really gave me something to think and pray about. I love your blog, and if I may, another good pro-life resource is Janet Folger's book "True to Life."

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

Thank you Mrs. G. for your comment...yes, I love that lesson. I decided to start my blog after reading your blog and your husband's as well. I have recommended your blogs to the women in my sunday school class. My sister is Janice Daugharty and thinks highly of your husband and his bold walk for the Lord. I am going to look for the resource you mentioned. I volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center and we are always looking for resources. Once again, thank you for your comment.

debseveryday said...

Sue, this was a great lesson--the participation you received was a blessing and I really believe the lesson reached many of the girls.