Thursday, December 27, 2007

"Consider it Done!"

If God's word is true (and I believe it is), why do I put Him in a box....after all, His Word gives me several promises:

John 15:7 says: "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be given you".

Matthew 18:19 says: "Again I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven"

Jeremiah 29:13 says: "You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart"

Several years ago my husband's friend, Tim, was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. Tim's family had confided in Mike that their loved one didn't have a personal relationship with Jesus. My sweet man was burdened about this and with little to no thought about the matter, my husband decided he needed to share the message and truth of Christ with Tim. So, Bible in hand we departed on Saturday morning. My role was to entertain Tim's wife so that Mike could have a captive audience. We expected that most likely, Tim would gladly accept Jesus as his Savior that very day. Little did we know what lesson awaited us. We spent close to eight hours with this couple that day....I was so eager to get back in the truck, anticipating the great news that Mike would tell me. But, once out of the driveway, Mike looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, "The door never opened for me to talk to him". My husband was a broken man. Tim, usually a man of very few words, talked non-stop on this particular day. Over the next few weeks Mike felt like time was closing in as Tim grew sicker. He prayed fervently for Tim and was deeply burdened for his soul. I hurt because my sweet man was hurting. Then one day a friend of mine dropped by the house. I relayed the story involving Tim and also of Mike's attempt at witnessing to him. She looked at me with a look of confidence and asked, "Well, have you given this matter to God"....I quickly assured her that yes, I had....She said, "Well then, consider it done!" She could not have known how deeply profound those words were at that moment. Several weeks later, my husband again went to visit Tim and God opened the door for him to share his faith with his friend.
Looking back at that moment, many lessons were learned...
First of all, We are not capable of making anyone love the Lord, they have to be drawn by the Holy Spirit and it has to be God's timing.
Second, God's ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts (Thank God!)....often our concept of an answered prayer is healing of someone, when God's concept is for that person to know the "Healer".
And last, God sees the entire picture, we just see a small portion....therefore, when we give Him something....we should "consider it done"....pray as we believe that He will answer.

1 comment:

debseveryday said...

Hey Sue!...as I was reading your blog this morning I thought about your hubby and his faithfulness. I might have been discouraged or given up after the first visit. But he persevered in prayer. Even when he didn't know what the outcome might be, he was faithful. Very encouraging!